RockStep Solutions is a fast-paced startup with a cutting-edge data management solution that is changing the world by accelerating drug discovery. RockStep’s market leading product, Climb™, has enabled the company to experience tremendous growth. The company is looking for a Director of Software Engineering to increase their market advantage and support a rapid scale-up of the technical team.
RockStep is seeking a highly motivated person to manage and lead our technical team while providing the technical roadmap for Climb and other associated applications. The successful applicant is a full-stack engineer with experience managing people and working within the Microsoft Azure ecosystem.
The successful applicant has experience leading motivated agile/scrum teams. The position requires collaboration with product management and our customer advisory board to establish a product roadmap, provide time and feasibility estimates, technical design, and to establish and align with applicable software quality assurance requirements. This position will involve customer interaction to resolve issues while improving usability, performance, and meeting expectations established in the product roadmap.
This position is a management position with direct reports. The applicant will be responsible for serving as a mentor for their employee’s career growth and performance. Strong leadership and collaboration skills are essential. The role will include recruiting, training and managing both in-house and contract teams.
The successful candidate will be a team player, self-starter, and fast learner, eager to tackle all sorts of new technologies as the company executes on their growth strategy. RockStep’s executive team is continuously identifying new market opportunities for their cutting edge solution which drives the product roadmap and commercial objectives..
This position will initially report to RockStep’s Executive Vice President but will eventually report to a full time Chief Technology Officer once that individual is hired. The applicant will work closely with RockStep’s current part-time CTO in the interim.
A Note about RockStep’s Company Culture
Our company culture has been critical to our success and is very important for us to maintain. We are looking for team players who respect and empower the individual. We take care of our company, take care of ourselves, and work as a team to take care of each other. We value diversity and hearty debate, and we embrace outcomes of debates, even when we may not all fully agree with final decisions.
The major responsibilities for this position will require the applicant’s skills in maintaining and evolving team culture, while working at all levels of the solution’s architecture, and actively participating in all phases of the software development life cycle. RockStep’s SDLC utilizes an agile/scrum methodology. Regular tasks include (but not limited to):
- Managing a team of in-house engineers and guiding their professional development
- Managing off-site contractors
- Recruit and scale the in-house technical team
- Front-end web development.
- Database schema design and performance tuning
- Product upgrade management
- Azure cloud resource & cost analysis
- Analyzing and implementing new technologies
- Working with product management to align user stories into clearly defined deliverables with user acceptance criteria.
Technical Skills & Experience
This is a leadership and senior technical position that requires ten or more years of relevant work experience. Applicants with less experience may be considered on a case by case basis. While a full stack programmer is desired, subject based expertise (front end, back end, database, and/or Azure architecture) will be considered.
The ideal candidate has knowledge and expertise in a majority of the following areas:
- Object oriented programming languages such as C#
- Cloud based architecture (preferably Azure)
- Web service standards
- .NET framework using C#
- SQL databases (SQL Server, Azure SQL, or similar)
- Some experience with front-end web development is preferred, especially modern libraries and frameworks such as Angular, React, or Vue.
- Experience developing automated testing of software components or systems.
- Experience working in Scrum/Agile programming teams
- Experience leading and building strong technical teams
Excellent soft skills are important for RockStep’s company culture. The successful candidate will help the company maintain and enhance a positive team culture.
- Team player with focus on advancing the company, and eager to work with and help out other team members
- RockStep seeks to employ a diverse workforce; the successful candidate will be respectful with all colleagues regardless of their race, gender, orientation, or religious affiliations
- The successful candidate will be a self-starter, learn quickly, and work well in a fast-paced environment
- Must be comfortable talking with customers and/or investors
- BS degree or higher in computer science or other related field
- Prior experience managing direct reports
- Ability to travel for multiple days several times a year
RockStep’s headquarters are in Portland Maine. It is desired that the candidate will work out of the Portland office, but exceptions may be considered.
Interested candidates email jobs @ rockstepsolutions dot com